Friday, October 3, 2008

My Continued Birthday – September 25

Today I had lunch with my adopted grandparents. Adopted grandparents is a program set up by SAS where students are matched up with professors, staff, or life long learners. My grandparents’ names’ are Doris and Hal. They are life long learners from Hastings-on-Hudson, New York. And they are terrible influences on me. Hal is big into NGOs and being an explorer, wandering the world. Besides that, they’re also incredibly adorable.

Doris and Hal have six adopted grandchildren. We have a meal together about once a week. It’s a great program, especially for somebody like me who’s so used to having grandparents around all the time. It’s also great to have meals with them because they’re treated like royalty on the ship. The wait staff clears out rooms for us to eat in and then carries our trays from the food line to the table. It’s great.

Anyways…at lunch today we were having quite the heated talk about how one professor has decided to make his class mandatory (I’ll leave you to guess which side of that argument I was on) when suddenly two waiters came in carrying a huge birthday cake with a candle in it, singing happy birthday to Ellie. (They actually meant me.) So I got another birthday wish and another birthday cake.

Oh…and in a classic reference to New Hampshire/Ben and Jerry’s/Stoneyfield Yogurt, it was an ice cream cake.

No comments: