Friday, January 7, 2011

New Year’s Resolutions

Ah…new year…fresh start. In case you’re still deciding just how you’re going to use the fairly Hallmark excuse to improve your life and become a better person, here are my New Year’s Resolutions:

1. No more cheese. This was brought on because:
     a. Gabby was on vacation all last week
     b. There were 2 1-pound bricks of Vermont cheddar cheese in the fridge
So, for about 9 days straight my meals consisted of: cheese omelet, grilled cheese, mac ‘n cheese. I ate altogether too much cheese to be considered a healthy person in any form. Also, Rwandan cheese is terrible – so there’s no reason for me to add unnecessarily ridiculous forms of fat into my diet if I don’t even enjoy it. I’ll have another avocado per day instead.

2. Tell myself every morning that “I volunteer in Africa” is no reason to live like a slob and to remind myself to “Dress for the job I want, not the job I have.” Okay…so maybe I won’t wear the suits that I’ll be wearing as a Fortune 500 CEO, but I really should stop trying to disguise yoga pants are proper work attire. And I’m aiming to shower at least 4 times a week. In an effort to supercharge this goal, I even shaved my legs today! Potentially for the first time in 3 months.

3. No more alcohol until I take the GMAT. Every hour drunk and every hour hungover in my bed are hours I could have spent studying. I am trying to set reasonable expectations for myself (I gave up on the goal of a perfect score when I found out that nobody at Tuck had received one), but I should really capitalize on the 8am – 5pm work schedule and do well.

4. Run a marathon. I’m an idiot. I know.

5. Thank God a little more in my prayers. Without grace, prayers seem to focus way too much on asking God for things: look after my family, give me strength, give me knowledge, give me guidance – and not enough on thanking Him for what we already have, which is…a lot.

So with that, I cheers (with my non-alcoholic beverage) to 2011 – may it be a good year!

No comments: